Sciència.cat DB is a relational database on scientific and technological works written in Catalan or translated into Catalan from the end of the 13th century to the beginnings of the 16th century.
The information is systematized according to the following fields which are interconnected:
- Works Catalogue of works (a census of the main works is also avalaible).
- Manuscript books Catalogue of manuscript books.
- Early printed books Catalogue of incunabula and early printed books, up to 1800.
- Archival sources Catalogue of archival sources on the works and their context.
- People Catalogue of anthroponyms (authors, translators, committents, etc.).
- Places Catalogue of toponyms.
- Bibliography Catalogue of modern editions and secondary literature on the works and their international context (an excerpt is also avalaible).
- Themes Repertory of themes that can be found in the works (no access).
- Vocabulary Catalogue of specialised vocabulary (under construction).
For a more detailed description of the project's development and the database's structure you can look at:
The information provided by Sciència.cat DB on the scientific and technological Catalan cultural heritage can be complemented with other Narpan DB initiatives in the field of Digital Humanities, particularly Translat DB, Eiximenis DB, Llull DB and the future Arnau DB.
As well, researchers can turn up to BITECA's database, on medieval Catalan texts, and MCEM, on Early Modern manuscripts produced in Catalan speaking area. Moreover, early printed texts may be found in Catalan, Valencian and Spanish Bibliographic Heritage's catalogs. Links to all these databases and others not included in the Narpan DB platform, may be found in Sciència.cat DB records.
Although most of the stuff has been collected thanks to different funding institutions, the database has been elaborated with the support of the research projects HUM2004-05176/FILO, HUM2005-07480-C03-01/FILO, FFI 2008-02163/FISO, and FFI2011-29117-C02, funded by the Spanish Government with ERDF funds from the European Union. It is part of the consolidated research group SGR 2009-1261, recognised and financed by the Generalitat of Catalunya.
Sciència.cat DB is open to external contributions that will be duly recognised. If you would like to contribute, please contact sciencia (at) sciencia.cat.